Products & Services
The Information Systems Laboratory combines expertise in knowledge representation and reasoning, database systems, net-centric information systems, and conceptual modeling. Its grand research challenge is to succeed in the transition from traditional information systems, such as information retrieval systems, database and workflow management systems, to semantically rich, large-scale, adaptive information systems. Such systems will be characterized by large-scale semantic interoperation, massive distribution, and/or a high level of autonomy and self-adaptation.
Besides conducting theoretical work on the above issues, ISL carries out applied research work in a number of application domains, including cultural informatics, biomedical informatics, e-learning, e-commerce and IT security. Work in these domains has a strong interdisciplinary character, since it includes the aspect of understanding the respective domain and modeling it through an appropriate conceptualization.
Overall, the ISL aims to provide enabling technologies for the emergence of an information society and a knowledge economy.
Poster (in greek)
Center for Cultural Informatics
Information Retrieval and Analysis
Other Applications and Systems
- Caprice - A community-based effort that aims improving privacy-awareness. First release: 2017 (site, game, video)
- Le Sommelier - A recommendation system aiming to help users choose one or more different bottles of wine that pair nicely with their orders. First release: 2016 (site, demo, video-demo)
- RDF Suite - High-level Scalable Tools for the Semantic Web
- SWKM - Semantic Web Knowledge Middleware
- Confious - Conference Management System
- Designing of formal ontologies and promotion of standards in the sector of culture in order to facilitate integration, mediation, and exchange of heterogeneous cultural heritage information.
- Provision of services in museums and cultural organizations with regard to the management of cultural-historical information and interdisciplinary research.
- Developing core ontologies in sectors beyond culture, eg biodiversity, e-science.
- Consulting services in designing and development of educational web portals.
- Advisory services on how to apply semantic information and ontologies in ambient environments.