Applications are invited from candidates who possess the necessary qualifications in order to fill one (1) full time Marie Curie Experienced Researcher Fellow Position within the Institute of Computer Science at the Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (FORTH) in the fields of knowledge representation, database and web technologies and 3D modeling for Cultural Heritage.
The selected Marie Curie Experienced Researcher (ER) will work within the ITN-Digital Cultural Heritage (ITN-DCH) Marie Curie ITN Programme. ITN-DCH is a major EU funded programme which brings together fourteen (14) leading European partners in a transnational network, aiming at implementing a multidisciplinary and intersectorial research and training programme between the academic and the industrial partners.
Cultural Heritage (CH) is an integral element of Europe and vital for the creation of a common European identity and one of the greatest assets for steering Europe’s social, economic development and job creation. However, the current research training activities in CH are fragmented and mostly design to be of a single-discipline, failing to cover the whole lifecycle of Digital Cultural Heritage (DCH) research, which is by nature a multidisciplinary and intersectorial research agenda. ITN-DCH aims for the first time worldwide that top universities, research centers, industries and CH stakeholders, end-users and standardized bodies will collaborate to train the next generation of researchers in DCH. The project aims to analyze, design, research, develop and validate an innovative multi-disciplinary and intersectoral research training framework that covers the whole lifecycle of digital CH research for a cost–effective preservation, documentation, protection and presentation of CH. ITN-DCH targets innovations that covers all aspects of CH ranging from tangible (books, newspapers, images, drawings, manuscripts, uniforms, maps, artifacts, archaeological sites, monuments) to intangible content (e.g., music, performing arts, folklore, theatrical performances) and their inter-relationships. The project aims to boost the added value of CH assets by re-using them in real application environments (protection of CH, education, tourism industry, advertising, fashion, films, music, publishing, video games and TV) through research on
(i) new personalized, interactive, mixed and augmented reality enabled e-services,
(ii) new recommendations in data acquisition,
(iii) new forms of representations (3D/4D) of both tangible /intangible assets and
(iv) interoperable metadata forms that allow easy data exchange and archiving.
The Experienced Researcher (ER) to be recruited by the host organization of FORTH, Institute of Computer Science, Heraklion, Crete, Greece (FORTH-ICS) will conduct research on a knowledge interface to virtual cultural heritage. The ER will focus his/her research training activity on the development of an advanced metadata model for:
- integrating historical and archaeological evidence with 3D/4D documentation of built CH objects (buildings, monuments, sites),
- integrating the argumentation leading to virtual reconstruction and discussing alternatives with the built heritage documentation
- concerning the connection physical and social-historical, constructive, functional, aesthetic and environmental parameters, etc with 3D/4D documentation of built heritage objects.
Knowledge representation, database and web technologies and 3D modeling for Cultural Heritage
Experienced researcher or 4-10 yrs (Post-Doc): have at least 4 years' experience in research (full-time equivalent) AND less than 5 years' experience in research (full-time equivalent)
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Competitive salary to cover living and mobility costs plus full tuition fees.
- Opportunities for international collaboration and travel to world-class academic and industrial partners.
- Training in a range of state-of-the-art scientific skills, intellectual property and project management skills.
- Secondment placements within the network’s partners.
For more details on salary and other benefits please refer to Marie Curie website at:
The Applicant should:
- Possess a PhD in Computer Science, Engineering and preferably in fields such as knowledge representation, database, web and 3D user interface technologies for Cultural Heritage, or have at least 4 years' experience in research (full-time equivalent) AND less than 5 years' experience in research (full-time equivalent) in the above field,
- Excellent programming skills and experience in 3D model presentation technologies
- NOT have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc) in Greece for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to his/her recruitment.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (spoken and written)
Start of appointment: 1 January 2015
Duration of appointment: 15 months
Applicants are requested to submit the following:
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of purpose
- Official transcripts of grades from all academic institutions of higher education listed in his/her application, certified copies of degrees, or/and certifications of fulfillment of the required obligations for entering a graduate PhD programme
- Copies of titles in English
- Names of three referees who, upon request, can provide recommendation letters
- Copies of any research papers or other significant work by the applicant Applications must be submitted in a closed envelope marked as “Application for Marie Curie Research Fellow Position” – Martin Doerr, Centre for Cultural Informatics, Institute of Computer Science, Foundation for Research & Technology - Hellas (FORTH), Science and Technology Park of Crete, 100 N. Plastira str., GR 700 13 Heraklion, Crete, Greece or must be sent via registered post with a clearly visible post office stamp of a date not later than 30 September 2014, 24:00 which is the deadline for the submission of the applications
Applicants are also requested to send their applications electronically to the email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com before the deadline of 30 September 2014, however, please note that the electronic submission alone will not be considered as a formal application unless the printed application is received as requested in the previous paragraph.
For enquiries: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and Tel. +30-2810391731