Starting Date: Immediate
Duration: 1 to 3 years, can be extended
Location: Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Salary: This is a Marie Curie ESR position in the BigStorage ITN project. The salary is specified by the corresponding Marie Curie rules.
Application deadline: 31-May-2015
The Institute of Computer Science of FORTH (http://www.ics.forth.gr) at Heraklion, Crete, Greece, has an immediate opening for an early stage researcher (ESR) in the BigStorage (http://bigstorage.oeg-upm.net) Marie Curie ITN project.
The goal of the position is to examine how future storage systems should be architected to take advantage of new storage devices for improving the capabilities and efficiency of Big Data applications. This work will provide the ground-work for shifting storage architectures from centralized SANs to distributed approaches over low-latency devices. It will examine techniques for achieving the required performance and reliability, while offering increased flexibility.
- The work will be conducted at the CARV Laboratory, in the Institute of Computer Science (ICS) at FORTH (http://www.ics.forth.gr/carv)
- The candidate will have the opportunity to spend a period of 6 months to another Project partner.
Requirements of the candidate:
The ideal candidates would hold a B.Sc. or Master's in computer science, computer engineering or related field, would have developed familiarity in computer systems and parallelism, and good systems building skills in low-level systems software, such as kernel modules, network protocols, data serving systems and middleware, key-value stores, file-systems, block-level storage systems, NAND Flash and NVM, controller firmware.
Applicants must have:
- A B.Sc. in computer science or related fields.
- Documented experience in systems software, with preference to any of the following fields: data storage, distributed storage systems, "NoSQL" data serving systems, Linux kernel, NAND-Flash storage.
- Strong systems review and analysis skills.
- Willingness and ability for cooperative work in the context of a research team.
- M.Sc. in computer systems.
- Experience on concurrency issues, inter-process communication and multi-threaded programming.
- Experience with performance analysis and optimization.
To apply, please email a cover letter, CV, statement of interests, contact address of at least two professional references, and copies of degree certificates.
- FORTH-ICS: http://www.ics.forth.gr
- CARV: http://www.ics.forth.gr/carv/index.html
- Crete: http://www.incrediblecrete.gr