The Bioinformatics Laboratory of the Institute of Computer Science, Foundation for Research and Technology, Hellas (FORTH) announces an opening for a Research / Technical Staff (Συνεργαζόμενου Ερευνητή ) position for contractual work as part of the the funded research programme titled “Development of Interdisciplinary Research Activities towards System Biology (BIOSYS)”. The project is funded through the call for proposals “Ανταγωνιστικότητα και Επιχειρηματικότητα και Περιφερειών σε Μετάβαση” (ΕΣΠΑ 2007-2013) and specifically for the Greek national actions for «ΑΝΑΠΤΥΞΙΑΚΕΣ ΠΡΟΤΑΣΕΙΣ ΕΡΕΥΝΗΤΙΚΩΝ ΦΟΡΕΩΝ- ΚΡΗΠΙΣ». The laboratory solicits applications to scientists and researchers that fulfill the requirements below to apply for the position.
The assigned tasks include the development of methods and technologies for data analysis (machine learning, data mining, knowledge discovery, statistics, pattern recognition) as well as their application to biomedical data, emphasizing clinical and omics data (gene expression micro-array data, next generation sequencing data, SNP data, etc.).
- A Masters degree from an acknowledged institute in Greece or internationally in fields that are related to the job description, e.g,. computer science and informatics, engineering, statistics, bioinformatics, optimization, applied mathematics, biology, biotechnology.
- Fulfilled military obligations (for Greek males).
Additional Optional Qualifications
- A Ph.D. in a related field
- Experience with analysis of multi-variate biological data-analysis
- Experience with the development of machine learning methods and systems
- Experience in the following specialized fields is appreciated: Bayesian Networks, Causal Discovery methods, Variable Selection methods, Optimization Theory, Time-course data analysis, Modeling of Dynamic Systems
- Knowledge and experience with using, developing or adapting software tools related to the job description as well as a general aptitude for research.
Location: Heraklion, Crete - Vasilika Vouton
Contract Duration: The specific contract duration is for 1 year possibly renewable until the end of the research grant. While the specific contact length is for only a year, the Bioinformatics Laboratory emphasizes that wishes to invest to researchers on a long-term basis. The goal of the lab is to maintain and increase the number of researchers. Thus, based on mutual interest, there exists the possibility of renewing the contract as part of other funded research grants in which the Institute of Computer Science participates. The start of the contract can be as late as 1/2/2014.
Salary: The salary depends on the experience of the researcher and it is competitive in the current market (~1500 – 2500 euro per month).
Application Procedure: The applicants should submit their application by 1/10/2013 and 14:00 in the afternoon. Their application should contain the following material:
- Short CV
- Copies of requested degrees
- Recommendation letters, certifications of past employment certifying the requested work experience, or any other certificates that the applicant wishes to submit and could make the application more competitive. Recommendation letters should be sent directly from their source.
The applicants should submit the applications to the following address:
Ίδρυμα Τεχνολογίας και Έρευνας
Ινστιτούτου Πληροφορικής: υπόψη κας Χρυσούλας Ηλιάκη
Πλαστήρα 100, Βασιλικά Βουτών
Τ.Κ. 711 10 Ηράκλειο, Κρήτη
Attention: in case of mail submission, the applicant must ensure the receipt of the application by the deadline above.
Alternatively, the applicants can submit their material by the deadline above to the email address: email@example.com
Review of Applications
- Among all the applications that are submitted within the deadline above, the one that is fits better the description above will be selected.
- Applications are considered in time if they are received to the mail or email addresses mentioned above by the deadline of the application.
- If it is deemed necessary, applicants may be called for a personal interview.
- It is noted that, the solicitation for applications for contractual work is not a public competition, while accepting the offer does not mean that the applicant is “hired”, but contracted for the job description above.
- The applicants selected will be notified personally for the acceptance of the contract as well as for submitting the original certifications (or certified copies of them). In case the original documents do not match the copies that have been submitted with the application, the applicant is dismissed from the application procedure.
- FORTH reserves the right to accept or not the submitted applications.
For more details regarding the submission procedures, please contact Mrs. Chrysoula Iliaki, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the Bioinformatics Laboratory, its research goals and the working environment, email the Head of the lab, Assoc. Prof. Ioannis Tsamardinos, email@example.com .
This announcement has been posted on-line in the web site of the Institute of Computer Science, FORTH.