Information Systems Laboratory
Project Title: HELBIONET-Hellenic Network for Biodiversity Research: Construction and Implementation phase for the LifeWatch Centre
Funding Organization: General Secretariat of Research and Technology / NSRF 2007-2013
Coordinator: Hellenic Centre for Marine Research - hcmr, Christos Arvanitidis
Partners: FOUNDATION FOR RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY HELLAS FORTH
Duration: 29/11/2012 - 30/09/2015
Expiration Date: 30/9/2015
Total Budget: 300.000
FORTH ICS budget: 300.000
The overall objective of the proposal is to develop and fulfil the vision for the Greek LifeWatch Centre and to establish it as the biodiversity Centre of Excellence for the South-eastern Europe. The specific objectives of the Project are:
- To ally all the Greek scientific human potential working on Biodiversity data and data observatories, in the country and abroad, in order to achieve a world-class excellence national LifeWatch Centre. This LifeWatch Centre has to create exemplar management structures, to be legally registered, and to build the adequate interface for collaborative schemes for its continuation after the state funding.
- To pave the way for the development of complex virtual domains through a number of background e-Services which facilitate both the data contributors and users, and virtually ally the dynamic teams continuously collecting data at the entire territory of the state.
- To develop a number of virtual labs where large scale science can be carried out at all possible levels of the biological organization from molecules to ecosystems. These vLabs will help scientists and other end users to answer the why and how questions and to adequately assist environmental managers and policy makers, among others, to adopt the biodiversity concept in their everyday activities.
- To assist the central Research Infrastructure by adopting and developing, within the human potential of the state, core LifeWatch projects with a massive impact on the users over the EU and world-wide.
- To build capacity at the national level through a network of activities, including human potential mobilization, training and education schemes, and enhancing organizational development.
- To disseminate information, scientific knowledge and experience gained to the public and to liaise the Network"s ideas and practices to the activities of targeted groups and of the society at large.
Contact Person: Martin Doerr, martinATics.forth.gr