Dr. Martin Doerr is a Research Director at the Information Systems Laboratory and head of the Centre for Cultural Informatics of the Institute of Computer Science, FORTH. He has been leading the development of systems for knowledge representation and terminology, metadata and content management. He has been leading or participating in a series of national and international projects for cultural information systems. His long-standing interdisciplinary work and collaboration with the International Council of Museums on modeling cultural-historical information has resulted besides others in an ISO Standard, ISO21127:2006, a core ontology for the purpose of schema integration across institutions.
Research Interest (Title)
- Ontology Engineering, Conceptual Modelling
- Digital Libraries
- Information Integration and Knowledge Representation
- Knowledge Organization Systems
- Information Systems Engineering
- Scientific Argumentation
Research and Development Activities (Title)
- The Software Information Base
- The Semantic Information Systems
- Thesaurus Management Systems
- Research in Ontology Engineering
- Research in Digital Provenance
Leadership Activities (Title)
- CIDOC CRM Special Interest Group
- Center for Cultural Informatics
Participation in Research Projects (Title)
- 3D-COFORM – Tools and Expertise for 3D Collection Formation, European ICT-CP, Grant Agreement No 231809 (2008-2012) (Local Project Leadership)
- Greek Archive of Monuments, Greek industrial, (2008-2011) Digitization of archival material at the Greek Archive of Monuments (Local Project Leadership)
- KPLab – "Developing Knowledge-Practices Laboratory", European IST Integrated Project (2006-2011)
- ACGT - Advancing Clinico-Genomic Clinical Trials on Cancer: Open Grid Services for Improving Medical Knowledge Discovery”, European FP6 IST Integrated Project “ (2006-2010)
- CASPAR - Cultural, Artistic and Scientific knowledge for Preservation, Access and Retrieval, European FP6 IST Integrated Project “http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl/projects/projects_individual.jsp?ProjectID=55” (2006-2009)
- DIATHESIS, industrial, provision of customized archival collection system for two clients in Greece, (2006-2008) (Project Leadership)
- Greek National Gallery, Greek industrial, Greek Operational Progamme “Information Society” (2006-2007), collection management system for the National Gallery Athens, Greece (Local Project Leadership)
- Anna-Komnini, Greek industrial, Greek Operational Progamme “Information Society” (2006-2007), Multilingual Web Information system for byzantine monuments, Greece (Project Leadership)
- Vikelaia Library, Greek industrial, Greek Operational Progamme “Information Society” (2005-2007), archival collection system Vikelaia Library of Heraklion, Greece (Project Leadership)
- Patakis Dictionary System, industrial, (2005-2007) Implementation of a management system for dictionary edition coordinating a hundred experts (Project Leadership)
- Mount Sinai, Greek industrial, Greek Operational Progamme “Information Society” (2005-2006), collection management system for the Mount Sinai monasteries, Greece (Local Project Leadership)
- Gallery Averof, Greek industrial, Greek Operational Progamme “Information Society” (2005-2006), collection management system for the Gallery Aberof, Metsovo, Greece (Local Project Leadership)
- IMKE, Greek industrial, Greek Operational Progamme “Information Society” (2005-2006), collection management system for Museum of Cretan Ethnology Foundation, Greece (Project Leadership)
- DELOS Network of Excellence on Digital Libraries (2004-2007)
- Information Society, national, (2004-2005) He contributes to the definition of standards for interoperability for the projects of the Greek Operational Progamme “Information Society”
- DIAVATIS – Interactive System for Improving the Promotion of Touristic & Historical Aspects” (2003-2005)
- ubi-erat-lupa, European Culture 2000 Project No 2002 - 0462/001-001 CLT-CA22, (2002-2005) (Local Project Leadership)
- CRISATEL - Conservation Restoration Innovation Systems for image capture and digital Archiving to enhance Training, Education and longlife Learning, European, IST-1999-20163, (2001-2005) (Local Project Leadership)
- ONTOWEB - Ontology-based information exchange for knowledge management and electronic commerce, European Network, IST-2000-25056, (2001-2004)
- CHIOS- Cultural Heritage Interchange Ontology Standardization, European Project, IST-2000-29216 (2001-2003) (Project Leadership)
- LIMBER, European, (2001-2002), creation of a multilingual terminology service (Local Project Leadership)
- DMS-OMS, industrial, (2000-2008), implementation of collection management software for the Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Nuremberg, Germany, (Project Leadership)
- SIS-TMS, various industrial projects, (2000-2005), customized terminology management systems for clients in Greece and Germany (Project Leadership)
- SCHOLNET - A Digital Library Testbed to Support Networked Scholarly Communities, European (2000-2003) (Local Project Leadership)
- CRISTAL - Conservation & Restoration Institutions for Scientific Terminology dedicated to Art Learning Network, European, No R99/II.2.a.54 (1999-2000) (Local Project Leadership)
- Term-IT - Multilingual Support for Multimedia Services, (1998-1999) (Local Project Leadership)
- ARCHON - a Multimedia System for Filing, Classification, Retrieval and Annotation of Historical Documents (1996-1999)
- Aquarelle - Sharing Cultural Heritage through Multimedia Telematics, (1996-1998)
- TURKISH ARCHIVE of CHANIA - Classification, documentation and microphotography of Turkish Archive of Chania) (1995-1998) (Local Project Leadership)
- POLEMON - Co-ordinated Informatics Services for the Documentation, Management and Promotion of Cultural Heritage (1995-1997)
- HYPERTOUR - a Hypermedia Platform Combining an Organisational Framework and a Methodology for the Exploitation and Promotion of Tourism in Europe of 2000, (1995-1997), (Local Project Leadership)
- ASSET - Advance System and Software engineering Enabling Technologies was a Phase I project in 1994-1995, where Bull, Olivetti and Siemens tried to agree on a strategic European distributed SPE platform (Local Project Leadership)
- MUSIC, 1992-1994, aimed at the creation of multimedia systems
- ITHACA, ITHACA II, ITHACA IT, 1989-1994, were one of the largest CEC funded projects to develop a European object-oriented integrated software production environment (SPE), with more than twenty partners, among them key industries of the field, as Bull and Siemens-Nixdorf (Local Project Leadership)
Dr. Martin Doerr has studied mathematics and physics from 1972-1978 and holds a PhD in experimental nuclear physics from the University of Karlsruhe, Germany. Since 1990 he has been Principle Researcher at FORTH.
Since 1990 he has engaged in two complementary lines of activities, one relates to research in the area of formal ontologies and knowledge representation and the other to leading the development of related advanced information systems.
He has been leading or participating in a series of national and international projects for knowledge management, terminology management, cultural information systems and information integration systems.
In the line of system development, he puts a focus on real applicability and industrial quality. He follows thereby the recent requirements on research organisations to bring their developments closer to industry, to engage in know-how transfer, and to raise funding more and more from private sources. For this purpose, he has made numerous presentations at large international industry, SMEs, and end-user organizations and has been invited several times for consulting. He engages in publicly funded projects with the strategy
- to build up direct cooperation with industry and end-user organizations;
- to develop base technology for knowledge management;
- to develop customizable platforms for applied information systems;
- to develop new methods and know-how in information integration and ontology engineering, with a focus on the memory institutions sector.
He maintains tight contacts with users and engages in cooperation with, in particular from the memory institutions sector, undertakes careful analysis of their requirements and directs the implementation of respective features.
This effort has resulted in a series of unique information systems of industrial quality, which are either marketed through cooperation with industry, or customized to the needs of specific end-users, in the case of applications of theoretical interest. The advanced design and high flexibility of these systems allowed the group to engage in a series of important international projects, multi-partner co-operations as well as direct orders from end-users. Finally it is a continuous source of challenges for research, and a series of masters and doctoral thesis have emerged from it.
Since 2004 he is leading the Centre for Cultural Informatics, an activity of the Information Systems Lab. His long-standing interdisciplinary work and collaboration with the International Council of Museums on modelling cultural-historical information for the purpose of schema integration across institutions has resulted in a respective ISO Standard, ISO21127:2006
He has published a lot of articles in international conferences and journals. Some of his publications about the CRM and the Definition of the CRM have been published as book in Japanese translation.