To play UA-Chess "Macromedia Flash Player 7" is required, which can be downloaded for free from: www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer.
To take advantage of the speech recognition and synthesis facilities, a SALT-compliant browser is required, such as the Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (you will need to download and install the Microsoft Internet Explorer Speech Add-in 1.0 ).
For more details about the game, you can read the user manual.
UA-Chess is a self-voicing application, so if you have a screen reader
running, you will need to turn off its voice. The game will open in
a new window.
Note: If you want to play a network game and you are behind
a firewall port 1935 will need to be open. This is the port that has
been assigned to Macromedia for the Flash Communication Server by the
IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority).
The Speech Add-in is available for the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows® 2000 Professional, with Service Pack 4
- Windows 2000 Server, with Service Pack 4
- Windows XP Professional, with Service Pack 1
- Windows ServerTM 2003 Enterprise
- Windows Server 2003 Standard
Administrator privileges are required to install the Speech Add-in. To install the add-in:
- Install the latest service pack for the operating system from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
- Install the latest version of Internet Explorer (6.0 SP1 or later) from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
- Download "IE-speech_add-in_v1.zip" (size: 65MB)
- Unzip "IE-speech_add-in_v1.zip" and run "Setup.exe".
- Restart your computer.
- A new program group named "Microsoft Internet Explorer Speech
Add-in" will be added to "Start > All programs",
and in this group an entry named "Speech Add-in Start Page".
Through this page you can test if the add-in was installed and if
it works properly. You can also test and set speech input and output
parameters through the "Control panel" by selecting "Speech".