- Computational Biology
- Data Mining
- Machine Learning
- Natural language processing
- The publication entitled Modeling susceptibility to periodontitis received the "IADR/AADR William J. Gies Award" for the best clinical research paper published in the Journal of Dental Research (JDR) during the preceding year. The JDR is the top ranked journal for original scientific articles in dentistry.
Participation in Research Projects
- iManageCancer - Empowering patients and strengthening self-management in cancer diseases. H2020-PHC-26-2014 No. 643529 (Scientific coordinator on behalf of CBML)
- EURECA - Enabling information re-Use by linking clinical REsearch and Care, FP7-ICT-2011.7 No 288048 (WP leader on behalf of CBML)
- ENCCA - EUROPEAN NETWORK for CANCER research in CHILDREN and ADOLESCENTS, FP7-HEALTH-F2-2011 No. 261474
- P-MEDICINE - From data sharing and integration via VPH models to personalized medicine, FP7-ICT-2009.5.3, No 270089
- REACTION - Remote Accessibility to Diabetes Management and Therapy in Operational Healthcare Networks, FP7-IP-No 248590
- GEN2PHEN - Genotype-to-Phenotype Databases: A Holistic Solution, EU-FP7-HEALTH-200754
- INFOBIOMED - Structuring European Biomedical Informatics to Support Individualized Healthcare EU-FP6-IST-507585
- ACGT - Advancing Clinico-Genomic Clinical Trials on Cancer: Open Grid Services for Improving Medical Knowledge Discovery, EU-FP6-IST-026996
- MIMP - Development of curriculum for a Masters degree in Medical Informatics in Egypt, TEMPUS JEP-31053-2003
- WS-TALK - Web Services Communicating in the Language of Their User Community, EU-FP6-COOP-CT-00602615
- PROGNOCHIP - Development and Establishment of DNA Microarray Technology in Greece: Identification and Validation of Classification and Prognosis Molecular Markers for Breast Cancer, GSRT/Greece-EPAN
- IRAIA - Getting orientation in complex information spaces as an emergent behaviour of autonomous information agents, IST/ 1999-10602
Dr. Lefteris Koumakis is a collaborating researcher at Computational BioMedicine Laboratory (CBML) of Institute of Computer Science at Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH). He received the B.Sc. degree in Computer Science, in 2001, from the University Of Crete, the M.Sc. degree in Computer Science, in 2004, and the PhD degree from the Production Engineering and Management School of Technical University of Crete, in 2014. He joined the ICS-FORTH in 2000 as undergraduate student, then from 2002 to 2004 as postgraduate student and since 2014 he collaborated with Computational BioMedicine Laboratory as a software engineer.
His background falls in Bioinformatics and Data Mining. His research interests include machine learning algorithms and data mining techniques, clinical decision support systems, medical and genomics data analysis and natural language processing. In the past he has worked in the design and implementation of service oriented architectures and he has experience in formal validation and evaluation procedures for software. He has participated in various international and national R&D projects and has published more than 50 papers in scientific journals, proceedings of international conferences & workshops, related to his fields of expertise.
He is also the author of MinePath a pathway analysis web server for real-time identification and interactive visualization of differentially expressed sub-paths in gene regulatory networks.