IXP1200 - Network Processors
In the context of the SCAMPI project
for network monitoring we are studying and investigating the use of
the IXP1200 network processors for near line-speed packet processing.
More precisely we currently focus on the following subjects:
We investigate methods and tools to support fast semi- automated generation of efficient code for the IXP1200. We develope the S2I precompiler which transforms high level packet descriptions to low level efficient micro-C code. Packet descriptions (rules) aim to identify possibly dangerous packets and produce alerts correspondingly.
Moreover, we investigate the use of the IXP1200 as a load sharing module. In this case the IXP1200 will split incoming traffic to more than one monitoring sensors, so as the Monitoring Load can be shared.
- I.Charitakis, D.Pnevmatikatos,E.Markatos, K.Anagnostakis S2I: a Tool for Automatic Rule Match Compilation for the IXP Network Processor. Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Software and Compilers for Embedded Systems, SCOPES 2003, pp.226-239, September 24-26, Vienna - Austria (pdf).
- I.Charitakis, K.Anagnostakis,E.Markatos An Active Traffic Splitter Architecture for Intrusion Detection. Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, pp. 238-241, Orlando Florida, October 2003. (pdf) (ppt)
- I.Charitakis, K.Anagnostakis,E.Markatos An Active Traffic Splitter Architecture for Intrusion Detection. Technical Report 323, FORTH-ICS, July 2003 (pdf).
- S2I Precompiler
- Pcap tracefile translator : Translates a pcap tracefile (e.g. from tcpdump) to a stream file for use within the IXP1200 SDK Workbench 2.01a.
- NetBind : A Binding Tool for Constructing Data Paths in Network Processor-Based Routers Campbell, Stephen, Chou, Kounavis, Stachtos, Vicente, Comet Group,Columbia University
- Building a Robust Software-Based Router Using Network Processors Tammo Spalink, Scott Karlin, Larry Peterson, Yitzchak Gottlieb. Department of Computer Science,Princeton University, Proceedings of the 18th SOSP (October 2001).
- An Intel IXP1200-based Network Interface ,Mackenzie, WorkShop on Novell Uses of System Area Networks at HPCA (SAN-2,2003)
- Safe Execution of Untrusted Applications on Embedded Network Processors H.Bos, B. Samwel, M.Cristea, K. Anagnostakis Leiden
- Netbench: A benchmarking suite for Network Processors Memik, Hu, ucla
- Network Processor Load Balancing for High-Speed Links , Gero Dittmann and Andreas Herkersdorf Proceedings of the 2002 International Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, edited by M.S. Obaidat, F. Davoli, I. Onyuksel, and R. Bolla, July 2002, San DiegoSan Diego, CA Simulation Councils, Inc., p.727-35 in 2002
- Adaptive Load Sharing for Network Processors , L. Kencl, J. Y. Le Boudec IEEE Infocom 2002, New York, June 2002 Christopher Kruegel, Fredrik Valeur, Giovanni Vigna, Richard Kemmerer , University California, Santa Barbara
- Stateful Intrusion Detection for High-Speed Networks Christopher Kruegel, Fredrik Valeur, Giovanni Vigna and Richard A. Kemmerer, 2002 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy
This work is funded in part by the IST project SCAMPI (IST-2001-32404) funded by the European Union.
This work is funded in part by Intel through an equipment grant