Computer Architecture and VLSI Systems (CARV) Laboratory
The Computer Architecture and VLSI Systems (CARV) Laboratory of the Institute of Computer Science (ICS), FORTH, was established in 1988. CARV promotes research, development, and education in the design and implementation of Computing Systems. We develop state-of-the-art prototypes, infrastructures, and innovative technologies that aim to stimulate enterpreneurship and impact the industry.
CARV brings together multi-disciplinary expertise in the mutually interacting areas of nanoelectronic circuits and systems, architecture, systems software, compilers, parallel programming, and concurrency theory. Our current and past activities are:
- Memory and Communication in Multicore Systems current projects: EuroServer, ExaNeSt, ExaNoDe commercialization through KALEAO Ltd
- On- and Off-Chip Interconnection Networks
- Packet Switch Architectures
Parallel Programming & Software
Storage & I/O Subsystems
- Storage Systems: IOLANES, SCALUS, CoherentPaaS, LeanBigData commercialization through IOFABRIC
- Middleware Systems & Systems Software: STREAM, CUMULONIMBO
- Ethernet-based Communication Protocols: NanoStreams
Infrastructure Services Engineering
EuroServer: Scale-out architecture for energy efficient servers & microservers.
- Member of The European Network of Excellence on
High-Perfomance and Embedded Architecture and
- Founding Partner of The European Research Center on Computer Architecture (EuReCCA).