Heraklion MESH is an experimental metropolitan multi-radio mesh network that covers an area of approximately 60Km^2 in the city of Heraklion, Crete. The network consists of 14 nodes, among which six are core nodes with up to four 802.11a wireless interfaces each, and one wireless interface for management and monitoring. The distance between core nodes varies from 1 to 5Km. Finally, the wireless mesh network contains two gateways that connect it to a fixed network.
This work is supported by the General Secreteriat for Research and Technology (GSRT), Greece, through the following projects: 05-AKMON-80 "Design, Management and Security in Wireless Networks with QoS Support", Italy-Greece Cooperation 2005-07 "Routing Protocols in Wireless Mesh Networks", Cooperation with Countries Outside the EU 05-NON-EU-39 "Efficient Design of IEEE 802.11e Wireless Access Networks"
- G. Vasilakis, G. Perantinos, I.G. Askoxylakis, N. Mechin, V. Spitadakis, A. Traganitis "Business Opportunities and Considerations on Wireless Mesh Networks", In Proc. of 10th IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (IEEE WoWMoM 2009), Industrial Session, Kos, Greece, June 2009.
- I.G. Askoxylakis, N. Mechin, G. Perantinos, G. Vassilakis, A. Traganitis "Usage Scenarios and Application Requirements for Wireless Mesh Networks", In Proc. of 10th IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (IEEE WoWMoM 2009), Industrial Session, Kos, Greece, June 2009.
- V. Angelakis, Emm. Delakis, K. Mathioudakis, A. Traganitis, V.A. Siris"Investigation of Timescales for Channel, Rate, and Power Control in a Metropolitan Wireless Mesh Testbed", ICT-MobileSummit 2009, Santander, Spain, 10-12 June 2009.
- Nikolaos Petroulakis, Manolis Delakis, Manolis Genetzakis, Theodoros Dionysiou, Stefanos Papadakis, Vasilios A. Siris, "Demonstration of Channel Assignment in a Wireless Metropolitan MESH Network", In Proc. of 10th IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (IEEE WoWMoM 2009), Kos, Greece, June 2009.
- V.A. Siris, T. Dionysiou, G. Stamatakis, “A Utility-based Framework for Joint Channel, Topology, and Routing Control in Wireless Mesh Networks”. Workshop on “Future Internet Architectures: New Trends in Service Architectures”, held in conjunction with ICT Mobile Summit, Santander, Spain, June 2009.
- M. Delakis and V. A. Siris, "Channel Assignment in a Metropolitan Wireless Multi-Radio Mesh Network". In Proc. of 5th International Conference on Broadband Communications, Networks and Systems (Broadnets 2008), London, September 2008.
- M. Genetzakis and V. A. Siris, "A Contention-Aware Routing Metric for Multi-Rate Multi-Radio Mesh Networks", In Proc. of 5th IEEE Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON 2008), San Francisco, June 2008.
- M.Delakis, K. Mathioudakis, N. Petroulakis, V. A. Siris, "Experiences and Investigations with Heraklion MESH: An experimental Metropolitan Multi-Radio Mesh Network". In Proc. of 4th Int'l Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructures for the Development of Networks & Communities (TRIDENTCOM 2008), Innsbruck, Austria, March 2008.
- Nikolaos Petroulakis and Vasilios A. Siris, "Real-Time Collection of Electromagnetic Field Measurements using a Metropolitan Wireless Mesh Network", in Proc of 12th Pan-Hellenic Conference in Informatics (PCI 2008), Samos, Greece, August 2008.
- V. Angelakis, M. Genetzakis, N. Kossifidis, K. Mathioudakis, M. Ntelakis, S. Papadakis, N. Petroulakis, V.A. Siris, "Heraklion MESH: An Experimental Metropolitan Multi-Radio Mesh Network". In Proc. of 2nd ACM Int'l Workshop on Wireless Network Testbeds, Experimental evaluation and CHaracterization (WiNTECH'07), held in conjunction with ACM MOBICOM'07, Montreal, Canada, September 2007